experiments

I opened an old sketchbook today...old as in first few weeks at art school. The only instructions given were:

"some water soluble paints and inks, paper and brushes...go experiment...go play"

It was hard to do - what was the outcome meant to be? I remember feeling bewildered at the aimlessness of it all. Only much later did the exercise make any sense. 

Limited materials, limited time, willingness to have a go, to experiment and make 'mistakes' can produce a lot of fresh ideas, new approaches. 

...it also emphasised to me how much the experience, or process, could be more important than the outcome...





I now know that these experiments reveal techniques of granulation, wet on wet, and blooms too. 

Who knew I'd eventually write a book about it!


at Amazon

Comments

Popular Posts